Affirmation House Mission, Purpose, and Growth:
Our mission will be to advocate, and offer support, for people of color that are currently experiencing homelessness in the Twin Cities Metro Area. The key goal of Affirmation House is to provide a place for each individual to call home that is a safe, clean, and fun living environment, free from drug or alcohol use.
Affirmation House Services Include:
- Permanent Housing
- Life Skills Training
- Employment Counseling
- Mental Health Advocacy
- Drug & Alcohol Counseling
Affirmation House’s Values
- We celebrate and embrace the diversity of every individual.
- We strive to treat all individuals with respect and dignity.
- We encourage people to draw upon their strengths to promote the power of self-advocacy.
- We will work to ensure that there is a collaborative community with the individuals that we serve.
- We will utilize and partner with the appropriate organizations for drug and alcohol counseling and treatment.
- We will utilize and partner with the appropriate professionals for the diagnosis and treatment of mental health disorders.
Locations and Future Growth Plans
- Affirmation House started in a single family home in Brooklyn Center with 4 men in December of 2009.
- October 2010, marked an exciting organizational milestone with the opening of our second facility, an 11 unit facility in North Minneapolis, that will also service men. This opportunity expanded our service impact by 3x the capacity of our original residence in Brooklyn Center.
- Our future goal is to also provide permanent Housing and Srvices for Families, Women and Youth.
- We have a goal to provide permanent housing for 100 people by 2020.
Affirmation House Vision Statement
Our Reason for Being
Our goal is to provide permanent Housing and services for Families, Women and Youth. Affirmation House will provide these services because the problem of chronic homelessness in Minnesota remains critical. In Minnesota, people are considered to be experiencing long-term homelessness if they have been homeless for at least one year, or have experienced four or more episodes of homelessness in the last three years. According to a 2006 report by the Wilder Research Foundation:
- There are 9,200 people who are homeless in Minnesota on any given night. Of these, 30% are adult men age 22 or older.
- In 2006, over half of homeless adults and youth (age 17 and under)reported a serious mental illness.
- Black, American Indian and Hispanic people continued to make up the majority (54%) of the adult homeless population, while they make up fewer than 10 percent of the overall Minnesota adult population.
- 59% of the homeless adults had received Food Stamps during the previous 12 months.
- Education among homeless adults:
- 26% of the homeless in Minnesota had no high school diploma.
- 47% had a high school diploma or GED.
- 27% had at least some higher education
- 24% had received special education services while in school
The City of Minneapolis and Hennepin County have started an initiative to end homelessness in our community by 2016. The plan, also known as Heading Home Hennepin, was developed by business and civic leaders, advocates, community members, and individuals who have experienced homelessness. It was created to help address the growing problem of homelessness and change the paradigm from managing it to ending it.
The Office to End Homelessness is a city/county partnership created with support from Mayor R.T. Rybak and Commissioner Gail Dorfman, as well as support from both the Minneapolis City Council and Hennepin County Board of Commissioners. It is NHF’s desire to partner with these organizations to assist in the goal of ending homelessness one person at a time by offering services and support to assist individuals on their journey from homelessness.
Affirmation House has just launched our new and improved Website Platform to start the 2014 year off with a greater community presence then ever before! Our new Website Platform will enable us to better communicate with community members and provide essential updates about our projects. Please take a moment to show your support by registering with our new website.. it's FREE!!
CLICK THE REGISTER BUTTON TO THE LEFT AND JOIN AFFIRMATION HOUSE TODAY. IT'S FREE!